Bainbridge (Georgia) Media is seeking a reporter to work at its Post-Searchlight weekly newspaper and quarterly Bainbridge Living Magazine. In this position, the reporter will assist with the production of the publications from beginning to end, including writing, photography, editing and design.
The ideal candidate should:
- Have a strong background in Adobe Suite, primarily InDesign and Photoshop.
- Be technologically proficient in Word, WordPress, Gmail, Filezilla, and other similar software.
- Be an enthusiastic self-starter.
- Possess a strong command of grammar, editing and use of AP Style.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be reliable, accurate and thorough in their reporting and page design.
- Be organized and detail oriented.
- Be comfortable working between print and digital platforms, including social media, photo galleries and video.
Bainbridge Media is an affiliate of Boone Newspapers, Inc. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401K, sick leave and vacation.
Apply by sending a resume and cover letter to Bainbridge Media General Manager John Wells at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Alabama’s Instructional Technology and Academic Services program, part of the College of Continuing Studies, is taking applications for a full-time media production specialist. Duties — under guidance from senior media staff — will include working with faculty and other academic support professionals to record, shoot, edit, and deliver high-quality media to be used in online courses and marketing campaigns.
Applications close on Aug. 16. For more information and to apply, click here.
The Alabama Water Institute at The University of Alabama is looking for a science communications student intern. This student will play a key role in fulfilling AWI’s goal of being a leading source for hydrologic scientific information and expertise.
The intern will be responsible for writing press release-style articles featuring cutting-edge hydrologic research being conducted at UA and AWI’s partner operations. The student will also assist in creating content for AWI’s social media channels and running/planning AWI events.
The ideal candidate will have experience and education in journalism, communications and physical science.
• 65% — Writing articles featuring the cutting-edge hydrologic research being conducted at UA and at AWI’s partners
• 15% — Creating content for AWI’s social media channels
• 15% — Assisting in running/planning AWI events
• 5% — Other duties as assigned
Interested students should send a resume and cover letter to Zach Krauss, AWI’s director of research to operations communications, at email@example.com. Use the subject line: “Science Communications Student Intern.”
Knight Eady, a creative agency in Birmingham, Alabama, is looking for fall internship candidates with an interest in the sports industry, graphic design, web design, photography, and videography. Interns will have the chance to work with clients that include the SEC, USGA, NCAA basketball, and other regionally and nationally-known brands.
For more information and to apply, click here.
Birmingham City Schools has an immediate opening for a full-time communications specialist with at least five years of professional work experience in broadcasting or production.
Among the duties and responsibilities:
- The ability to capture strong images for presentations on all multimedia platforms
- Developing and producing broadcast features for multimedia platforms
- Assisting in maintaining production equipment
- Assisting in audio and visual setups for districts events, including live stream, remote and in-studio teleprompter
- Serving as a key team member for game of the weekend productions
Among required qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in broadcast communications, journalism or related field
- Minimum of five years professional work experience in broadcast communications or production
- Demonstrated experience in effective communication and project supervision
For more information and to apply for this Communications Specialist (Broadcast) position, click here.
Alabama Daily News is seeking an energetic and organized reporter to cover state government and politics for its website, daily subscriber email and member newspapers across the state.
Alabama Daily News coverage includes state and congressional elections, the governor’s office, the Legislature and various state agencies, including education, Medicaid and prisons. Deep-dive reporting opportunities range in topic from mental health services to state revenue trends. The Legislature’s four-month session early each year is a particular focus of ADN and our readership.
An ideal candidate will have some news writing experience and a degree in journalism, political science or related subject. Source building and identifying good story ideas are key to this job. Social media acumen and basic photo skills are also preferred.
ADN lists the salary range as $35,000 to $45,000 annually.
To apply, send a resume and clips to ADN Editor Mary Sell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Gulf States Newsroom — a Birmingham-based regional collaboration of public radio stations in Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama and NPR — is taking applications for a year-long, paid fellowship. Early career journalists are encouraged to apply.
The reporting fellow will join a team of award-winning regional reporters and editors who cover health care, wealth and poverty and race and equity, and have the opportunity to carve out a beat based on their interests. Fellows will walk away with a portfolio of spots, sound-rich features and digital stories, setting them up for a career in public radio or elsewhere in media.
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Application deadline: June 30
Fellowship timeline: August 2022-July 2023
For more information, and to apply, click here.
The Gulf States Newsroom is also hiring for a couple of other positions that require more experience — at least two years of reporting or producing — in Jackson, Mississippi.
Reproductive Health Reporter based at MPB in Jackson (one-year contract position)
Environmental Justice Reporter based at MPB in Jackson (regular full-time)
The Tuscaloosa County Park & Recreation Authority (PARA) is seeking a student intern to assist with social media for the Tuscaloosa Toyota Classic, the city’s first professional women’s golf tournament. The EPSON Tour tournament, scheduled Sept. 30 through Oct. 2, will feature 120 professional women golfers from nearly 30 countries.
The intern can work remotely but will need to have the ability to travel to the Ol’ Colony Golf course, the PARA Building, and occasionally for photography, meetings, and events. A work week of 12-20 hours is desired from now through Oct. 15. The intern will work under the direct supervision of the PARA marketing staff.
Among the intern’s duties:
- Plan and set goals under the supervision of PARA marketing staff.
- Promote EPSON Tour players through both their collegiate and professional accomplishments.
- Promote EPSON Tour players from the University of Alabama.
- Promote tournament sponsors.
- Educate the public about the brand.
- Create excitement about what exclusive opportunities the tournament will bring to the community.
- Create fun and interesting factoids about the game of golf.
- Educate about how the community can get involved with the tournament.
- Create content for Ol’ Colony Golf Complex.
- Create content about the Tuscaloosa Junior Golf program.
- Create content about local women golfers.
- Build a following of interested individuals, groups and influencers.
To apply: Send a resume and examples of your work to Becky Booker email@example.com and Tera Batayneh firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hville Blast — Huntsville, Alabama’s newest media outlet — has an immediate opening for a full-time social media producer.
The ideal candidate, according to Hville Blast’s job description, fits these criteria:
- You + your camera are BFFs. You’ve spent some time practicing how to frame the perfect, attention-grabbing shot. You’re comfortable being in front of or behind the camera.
- Social media is your passion. You know your way around Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn + TikTok and have opinions on why content resonates.
- You live by analytics. You’re an expert with Instagram analytics and familiar with other channels too. You view analytics as your teacher on how to improve.
- You’ve got solid copy skills. You understand that social media is fast-moving. You know how to grab an audience’s attention with a few well-chosen words. Your writing is clean, concise, smart and entertaining.
- You’re outgoing and professional. You love talking with people and asking smart questions to get to the inside scoop.
- You likely studied marketing, PR, communications or advertising in college.
- Team player is your middle name. You know in your bones that we’re better together.
- You’re creative, and have a well-developed sense of humor, if you say so yourself.
- You love supporting customers and know that proactive communication solves most problems.
- You’re organized and efficient. You know how to manage your time to get. things. done.
- Communicating professionally in email, through direct messaging, over the phone, or in a presentation with clients, CEOs or strangers on the street comes naturally to you.
- You welcome feedback and constructive criticism and know that learning from others is how you will improve.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment. You’re good but you’re also FAST. Deadlines don’t scare you.
- You’re proactive + love continuous learning. You research best practices for content development for fun.
- You can get around Huntsville in your own transportation and already know some of the best secret spots.
To APPLY: send your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com, describing why you’re the best person for the job. Include links to your work.
WKRG-TV News 5 in Mobile, Alabama, is seeking applicants for several full-time positions. Among them:
• Newscast producer. Apply here.
• Digital content producer. Apply here..
• Associate newscast producer. Apply here.
• Multimedia journalist. Apply here.
• Traffic anchor & multimedia journalist. Apply here.
• Newscast director. Apply here.
Recent graduates and graduating seniors are encouraged to apply.